Do you need negotiating tactics and strategies you can use today? Here are my top 10. No matter what business you’re in, you likely have to negotiate, every day. We’re all so hyper-connected these days that it’s easy to overlook the impact of a few essentials for negotiating. What are yours?
1. Do your homework. If the playing field isn’t level, not much else matters.
2. What’s your BATNA? Every negotiator needs a BATNA (Best Alternative to a Negotiated Agreement). In other words, have a Plan B.
3. Don’t ignore the 800-pound gorilla. If the 800-pound gorilla is you, play it up to your advantage. If your opponent has the leverage, see Tip #1.
4. Listen and hear. Don’t spend the conversation thinking about what you’ll say. Instead, concentrate on actually hearing what your client really wants.
5. Silence is golden. Like mom said, think before you talk. You may be able to achieve a lot more through silence vs. chattering away.
6. Go for the win-win. This is the negotiating arena, but it isn’t the O.K. Corral. Your goal is a deal where both sides get what they want.
7. Use your silver bullets wisely. Prioritize your deal points. Not every item is a deal breaker.
8. Reciprocate. Offer something they need (but perhaps you don’t), and see what you get in return.
9. These boots are made for walkin’. Some deals just weren’t meant to be. Know when it’s time to walk away.
10. Everything is negotiable. ‘Nuff said.
Be sure find out about our seminar, “Exceptional Customer Service, Lessons from the Shark Tank”. Don’t let competitive advantage slip through your fingers!
© 2013-2014 Shannon Alter